National Reference Laboratory for Plant Health - Nematodes
The National Reference Laboratory (NRL) for Plant Health - Nematodes performs several tasks according to Art. 101 of the EU Control Regulation 2017/625 to ensure comparable and valid results in the diagnosis of plant damaging nematodes classified as EU quarantine pests according to Regulation (EU) 2016/2031.
This includes, but is not limited to.
- Identification/diagnosis of the quarantine pests using recognized methods in compliance with relevant accreditation requirements (EN ISO/IEC 17025).
- Cooperation with the relevant Reference Laboratory of the European Union (EU-RL)
- Improvement of expertise through participation in training courses of the EU-RL
- Proof of competence through participation in interlaboratory tests of the EU-RL
- Establish and maintain a reference collection of plant damaging nematodes.
- Distribution of the information provided by the EU-RL to the competent authorities
Samples to be tested from international trade (import, domestic trade and export) or from official surveillance activities are provided by the competent Official Plant Protection Services (APSD).
- Morphological identification/detection of the nematodes classified as quarantine pests (new pests, Union quarantine pests and sanctuary quarantine pests) by microscopic examination;
- Molecular genetic identification/detection of nematodes classified as quarantine pests (new pests, Union quarantine pests, and protected area quarantine pests) by PCR and DNA barcoding;
- Morphological identification/detection of nematodes classified as Union regulated non-quarantine pests by microscopic examination;
- Molecular identification/detection of nematodes classified as Union regulated non-quarantine pests by PCR and DNA barcoding;
Last updated: 25.05.2023